Polka Dot Frock

Hello there!

It seems like I've been missing for ages, although I think it's actually only a week.  I've been having (and still am) major problems with my internet.  Basically my wireless internet won't work wirelessly, meaning I can only get online with the laptop connected to the router.  Which shouldn't be too much of a problem except the router is right in the corner of the lounge and the cable isn't very long so I have to kind of huddle sideways in the corner to use the computer.  Not that comfortable!  I really should take the laptop to be looked at, but I've got a feeling it might be expensive. 

Anyway, less time spent online has meant I've finished (and worn) my polka dot New Look 6000, which I made for Scruffy Badger's Polka Dot Frock Fest.

Without further ado, here it is:


I had the fabric already in my stash, bought without a plan last year some time.  I loved the unusual colour combination.  I only had enough for the plain version without the side pleats, but on reflection, that's probably the one I would have made anyway.

Too lazy to make a "proper" muslin I made the lining first (the body is fully lined) and used that as my muslin.  I had to make a few changes, took about an inch of length out between the underarm and the bust darts to lift them slightly, and narrowed the shoulder seam by about an inch as well.

I also drafted my own curved cuffs as I wanted something to finish the sleeves and add a bit of interest, but I didn't want the pointy sticky out cuffs on the pattern.


As I mentioned, I lined the body which meant no facings (woo hoo!) but not the sleeves.  In order to have no raw edges, I used French seams for the sleeve seams and finished the cuff/hem edge with bias tape.


I wore this out to dinner with some girlfriends the other night and got several compliments.  It looks fab with purple tights and necklace.  I would have liked to share a modelled photo, but hubby has gone out and I'm too cold to start faffing around with taking photos on the camera timer.  It always takes me ages to get a decent pic on my own.   You'll have to take it from me that it fits perfectly!  Hubby said it looks like I bought it (which I'm assuming is a compliment).

18 comments

  1. Love it - but I do want to see it on too, bet it looks fab. The curved detail on the sleeves was a stroke of genius. Well done x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacq. I'll definitely get a modelled pic as soon as I can.

      Delete
  2. Sam, this is beautiful!!! The fabric is a wonderful colour combo, you're right and I like the extra details: curved cuffs and the lovely bias finish. Fantastic!!! I've finished mine ( just)! I'm looking forward to seeing yours modelled too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased with it. I'll get some modelled shots ASAP, as it really does look good on (even though I say so myself!)

      Looking forward to seeing your version. x

      Delete
  3. I love your muslin technique: I'm about to do the same for a skirt!

    This dress turned out beautifully! I agree - the color combo is really unique. And I love your cuff detail too! All-around win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail. Kind of a lazy way to do a muslin, but it worked! I don't think I'd use it on anything too complicated, but its fine for a shift dress or a skirt.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the cuff you added. I'll have to file that one away. And I really like the fabric, too. I'm a big fan of unusual color combos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane. Yes, the colour combo is an unusual one, but it works. Several people I've described it to (who haven't seen it) have thought it strange!

      Delete
  5. Pretty! I love those cuffs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! I absolutely love that colour combo too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. I loved it the minute I saw it.

      Delete
  7. Love this version!! Looking forward to seeing it modeled. I did my 6000 muslin the same way--and here I thought I was being so original. :) I had never tried that method before, but it worked great for me. Your cuffs are amazing. Good idea to try that rather than the ones on the pattern. Very cool detail on a beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike Shelley! Thank you for your lovely comments.

      Delete
  8. What a great colour, I found it hard to find a polka dot in anything but the usual and this is gorgeous! I think the cuffs are really lovely, sometimes less is more and you've achieved that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I was drawn to the unusual colour scheme. The cuffs were very simple, but as you say, sometimes less is more.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, every one is read and appreciated. It means a lot to me that you take the time to read and comment on my posts.