Fantasy Vs. Reality - Part 2


First of all, thank you very much to everyone who commented on my last post.  I’m pleased to know I’m not the only one who’s had these issues, and also that I don’t really look like my mini-me!

OK, now on to the second part of my rude awakening from fantasy into reality!  This part is a little different, but surprised me none the less.

Sometime last year I started reading the blog 40+ Style.  I’m always interested to see the outfits and advice that Sylvia presents, and her posts make me think about my own style. 

Recently Sylvia commenced a series of posts around a New Year Style Challenge to find a more stylish “you”.  Each post poses a question about some aspect of style such as why style is important to you, how well you know your body and what suits you, and what is your current style.

The post that has really got me thinking was day 5 of the challenge about how close your current style is to your desired style.  Sylvia suggests collecting images of outfits/styles you like on Pinterest.  Well, I already do that so I thought I’d pop over to Pinterest to have a look at mine.  It’s here if you’re interested.  

I was slightly surprised by what I saw.  Of course there are dresses that would never fit into my lifestyle, these for example.


Gorgeous, but not really practical!


 
But very few of the things I’d Pinned are actually like items that I’ve currently got in my wardrobe.  And I don’t know why.  Many of them – or similar things – would be perfectly suitable for my lifestyle. 

Perhaps I’ve been “Pinning” for a fantasy life, when I could actually incorporate many of the ideas into things I make or buy.  Or maybe I’m just lazy, I Pin then forget to go back and look at what I’ve pinned.

Anyway, some thoughts that spring to mind when looking at my style pinboard:

I like simple shapes, but with an interesting detail.  I kind of had an idea of this one.




I prefer dresses to skirts; and skirts to trousers.  Hardly any outfits Pinned feature trousers.  The trousers I do like are straight legged styles.  I did already know this.

I would definitely wear these trousers with this blouse.


I like plain fabrics better than prints.  Why do I keep buying prints to sew with then?  I think it’s because patterned fabric looks so much more exciting on the shelf. 

I like navy and red; either alone or together.  Currently I have one navy and white striped top (which gets a fair bit of wear) and one red skirt, which is hardly ever worn.

Who knew I liked navy and red so much?!
 

I prefer smarter looks to very casual ones.  Strange in a way, because I don’t have a lifestyle that requires very smart clothes.  At work I can’t wear jeans etc, but I don’t have to dress very smartly.  However I would always prefer to be slightly over dressed than under dressed.

So, what am I going to do about my discoveries?

Immediately, nothing.   I've already got a couple of sewing projects planned, which don't necessarily fit into what I've discovered, but I'm going to continue with them anyway.  Actually, thinking about them, they're both quite simple shapes, so they probably DO fit.

I’m not going to rush out tomorrow and buy a whole new wardrobe or a huge pile of fabric and patterns to make a new wardrobe.  However I am going to go through what I’ve got and look at it bearing my discoveries in mind. 

I’m then going to work towards creating myself a new capsule wardrobe for spring, either by making or purchasing a few items that fit my style pinboard and coordinate together.

I’ve already started putting together a Pinterest board for a Spring capsule wardrobe.  I’ll share what I decide I want to make / buy in a later post.

Do you have a Pinterest account?  And do you actually use it as inspiration, and go back and look at what you've Pinned, or do you just "Pin and Forget"?

 

 

 

 

 

10 comments

  1. Ooh, I like your pin choices! Would wear most of those. I use Polyvore to make collages of clothes I love, then make my own versions - with varying success..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Polyvore. Sounds like it could be something else I could while away hours playing with!

      Delete
  2. This is such an interesting post, and very practical! I think I pin for inspiration, but I don't copy exactly what I have pinned, just use it more as a guideline to my choices. I think you are very right about prints; once I started concentrating on solids and not allowing myself to be swayed by all the pretty prints; I found my wardrobe to be far easier to mix and match. Nowadays I very rarely add a print to my wardrobe.
    I like your navy and red colour scheme too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. Your point about mixing and matching solids is very good. I often feel my wardrobe is hard to mix and match because I've got quite a few prints, and also quite a few different colours.

      Delete
  3. Interesting post - I didn't really think about that before. I'll check out your pinterest page when I get home, then probably start updating mine for Spring. Like you, I do prefer dresses over skirts but I do want to make some skirts so I can create different outfits. This will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I need to have a few more skirts in my wardrobe so that I can make some different outfits. I think at the moment I've got 4, one is hardly ever worn, one doesn't fit properly and one is new so can't really be counted yet as I've only worn it once.

      Delete
  4. This is really interesting. I do use Pinterest but it hasn't really gripped me, I think I do pin and forget. At no point had I even thought to start a board for fashions I like - so it doesn't seem to engage me. I'm not sure why - perhaps I need to have a second look at the whole thing.

    I can relate to the pattern/colour theme issue you've identified. I'm moving towards making wardrobe staples gradually, I want to get maximum benefit from the effort I've made. A plain skirt that co-ordinates with 4 different tops is going to earn it's keep. Mind you that leaves me with an impressive stash of patterned fabrics I've bought because I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to tear pictures of clothes out of magazines, so I've been "collecting" inspiration for entirely too long! Most of them didn't get looked at again either! I do have a sewing board on Pinterest that I pin patterns I like and tutorials I want to remember, and I do actually go back and look at them. It's a good way to have all your online sewing tips in one place.

      Patterned fabrics do have their place - I could never give up pattern completely - you just need to make sure you've got plain items to wear with them!

      Delete
  5. I love all of these clothes and colour combinations.. you have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I only wish it wasn't a fantasy wardrobe!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, every one is read and appreciated. It means a lot to me that you take the time to read and comment on my posts.